- About Us
- Worship Services
- Our Community
- At A Glance
- Class Home Pages
- Gan (Kindergarten)
- Aleph (First Grade)
- Bet (Second Grade)
- Gimel (Third Grade)
- Dalet (Fourth Grade)
- Heh (Fifth Grade)
- Vav (Sixth Grade)
- Zayin (Seventh Grade)
- Chugim and Bechirot
- Prozdor (Eighth Grade)
- Pardes (Ninth Grade)
- Confirmation (Tenth Grade)
- Adult Hebrew
- From Our School Director
- About Our Faculty
- Shabbat Morning Family Programming
- Adult Education
- Parent Manual
- Curriculum FAQs
- Learning Resources
- We Support Israel
- Contact Us
- Event Calendar
Am Yisrael offers many Adult Education opportunities throughout the year.
- Classes with Rabbi Newman Kamin such as Prayer in Motion (incorporating movement with liturgy); Torah study, various topics for Lunch and Learn programs, Sulam Leadership
- Classes with Cantor Simon on Torah Trope, Haftarah Trope, and Leading a Shiva Minyan
- Adult Bar/Bat Mitzvah Program
- Adult Hebrew literacy, taught by our veteran teacher, Tikva Moustakis
- Outings to museums, theatre, exhibits, and speakers
- Learning sessions with various scholars, such as Keith Kanter and Dr. Julie Strauss, usually on the current political environment
- Talmud Class, taught by Dr. Larry Layfer, meeting weekly on Monday nights at 8 p.m.
In addition, events that represent various viewpoints and issues are scheduled throughout the year.
For more information on our Adult Education programs, contact Dr. Elliot Lefkovitz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-446-7215 ext. 15
Refuge: Stories of the Selfhelp Home
Congregants are invited to a screening of the film Refuge: Stories of the Selfhelp Home on Sunday morning, November 4, from 9:50-11:05 a.m. in the synagogue sanctuary. Refuge, a film by Ethan Bensinger, is a riveting documentary which reveals the origins of Selfhelp, a highly regarded non-profit senior living community which throughout the years has a provided a warm and nurturing residence for more than 1,000 Central European refugees and Holocaust survivors. The stories of these individuals shown in the film are moving and unforgettable.
Following the film screening, Am Yisrael congregant Hedy Ciocci, administrator of Selfhelp, will be on hand to answer questions about this remarkable facility. We are most honored that Hedy will be able to join us this day.
Dr. Larry Layfer program
Dr. Larry Layfer has compiled more than 100 insightful and learned commentaries on weekly Torah portions that he has written over the past 17 years into a book which will be distributed on Shabbat morning, December 22, parashat Vayigash. Dr. Layfer will give the Dvar Torah that day and will sponsor the kiddush following services. Dr. Layfer’s Divrei Torah have appeared on a monthly basis in the Chicago Jewish News and have been greatly appreciated by readers of that publication.
Dr. Layfer has chosen to distribute his book the morning of parashat Vayigash because this Dvar Torah will complete the annual cycle of Torah commentaries he has composed over the years. The congregation is invited to come and share in his accomplishment and honor him for his commitment to enhance our understanding of and engagement with the fundamental text in the Jewish tradition.